Your Managed Security Services provider is a crucial player in your overall security posture, and our number one goal is to help your organization be as safe and secure as possible. But to give you what you need, we need some things in return.
Here are 6 ways to get the most out of your MSS experience:
- Communication is Key – We love hearing from you when we do a good job, but it’s equally important that you let us know when we come up short of your expectations. By letting us know that a ticket or issue doesn’t meet your needs or solve a problem, we can learn and adapt our practices to your environment in a way that may benefit others. And boy, do we! In 2018, several major process updates were driven directly by customer feedback. If we can find a better way to do it, we definitely will.
- Remember, we’re human, too – As much as we work to create solid processes and investigation playbooks, at the end of the day, we’re only human. We make mistakes, we get stuck in traffic, we stub our toes. Many of our analysts work overnight shifts with very little human interaction, so you might drop them a note to see how they’re doing. They love hearing back from customers!
- Is it in scope? We consistently work hard to keep customers happy and love helping in any way we can, but we have to stay within our scope of services. If we respond that a request is out of scope, we will do our best to provide some type of guidance based on our personal experience, but we may not be able to assist. The best thing to do is to ensure that your engagement is scoped correctly and agreed upon in advance, before we begin working in your environment.
- Be prepared – MSS is not a fix-it-and-forget-it solution. Our goal is to empower you to follow your own security policies and processes by taking the grunt work out of identifying and analyzing threats. Our guidance is often directed at helping you make the best decision for your company based on factors that may actually be outside of our purview. Often, we ‘don’t know what we don’t know’, so we’ll give you as much information as we can to allow you to make the tough decisions.
- Have a plan – Understand where RedLegg MSS fits into your security posture and what services we can provide within that scope. Tell us what you expect from us and confirm that that is what we are expecting to provide. The worst thing we can do is operate separately under different assumptions about what the other is doing. We work diligently with you before the engagement begins to ensure that we each have a mutual understanding of expectations.
- Let’s have some fun – We have a job to do for sure, but in the cybersecurity industry, we need to take time to remind ourselves that there is still good in the world. Tell us your stories, give us your jokes, and we’ll give you ours. This may seem out of place or inappropriate, but great working relationships are vital for success across our industry, and here at RedLegg, we pride ourselves on our relationships with our clients. Did you hear what the pirate said on his 80th birthday? “Aye Matey!”
At RedLegg MSS and especially with our co-managed SIEM model, we love helping our clients and we love getting feedback from our clients. Together we can learn, adapt, and excel in the ever-changing security world.